I am losing my mind. One minute she is happy, the next she is vicious and rude. My boyfriend thinks he knows what to do, I know I don't know what to do and we argue about it. He went barging in her room today and I flipped out on him.
"Don't you dare barge in her room like that!" I yelled and slammed the door to continue talking to her.
I came out of her bedroom finally and he was standing there and gave me the finger.
So I think... how many children am I dealing with here?
I have learned some things in dealing with a teenager for the short time I have:
- It is important to deescalate the situation. The louder you yell, the louder she yells.
- Arguing does not help. It will take you down a losing path.
- Threats like "you're grounded for a year" are pointless. You can't follow through on it, so you've played into her hands.
- When all else fails, go for a walk or a drive so you can cool off.
- Do you struggle with a partner about parenting technique?
- Is your parenting style different from your parents?